Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Fun and Games

The last week or so has been awesome at school. Things have settled down and I've gotten into a routine at both schools. I'm having a lot more fun in the classes, smiling and laughing more, and basically being my usual happy self. My relationships with my kids have been blossoming and my JHS students are trying their damndest to communicate with me in English. I was seriously floored when a couple of ninenseis (grade 8 students) who had previously never even spoken to me in English were actually putting in some effort to communicate with me. They'd call me over with a wave of their hand and string some words together trying to find the best way to say something. This was WHOA for me and I loved it. I think part of this can be attributed to my new JTE, Murachi-sensei. He's young (29), energetic and forces his kids to communicate in English. He's implemented a twice weekly diary submission, English-Japanese dictionaries in the classrooms, phonics training for the ichinenseis (grade 7) and constant English communication. This is by far a superior Japanese teacher of English. We communicate well together inside and outside of the classroom.

JHS has been brillant and the elementary school has improved a lot, too. It's warmer now so I join th kids outside during recess or after lunch. We had an earthquake and fire drill and I had my second go around in the earthquake simulator:














I felt a little quesy afterwards and held it together. I hope to God we never experience a serious earthquake. I shudder thinking about it. The picture at the top is the "helmet" the kids and teachers are supposed to wear in the event of an earthquake. It's like a seat pad and just as sexy. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to turn the camera on to myself. Too bad, so sad.

On Saturday, I had to work, which always blows, but I had a good day nonetheless. Parents were invited to sit in on classes and we had a good number of folks during my ninensei class. These kids aren't very fluent yet but they try their best, which goes a long way with me. Our class centred around show and tell, with each kid bringing in and talking about their "treasure". Here are pics of my kids getting ready for their big day:





After work, all the teachers and members of the PTA went out for an enkai (eating and drinking party). Since it was Saturday night, everyone got right sloshed and fear of sounding silly in our non-native language vanished. The food was good but the sake and beer were the main attractions. Mmmm, warm sake. The conversations were flowing and my JTE and I had an awesome discission about the differences in work ethics between the Japanese and Canadians. I told him frankly that I didn't agree in the rampant workaholicism that is prevalent all over the country and he confessed that he wished the Japanese would have a more foreign (i.e. Canadian) attitude towards work. He told me that most teachers only take 3-4 days off a year even though they are entitled to around 20...keep in mind that summer vacation here lasts about 5 weeks. I don't understand. Working in a school is hard work - you need time to mentally and physically recoup. I boldy told him that I'm entitled to 20 and he could be sure that I will be taking every day. Though we agreed on most points, I was a little sad to hear that he has to miss out on some cool things due to the stringent work culture in many Japanese schools. He told me that his friends are going to Seattle and he wants to go badly but he probably won't because of the unwritten rules. Kawaiso - it's a pity. Fortunately, that discussion didn't put a damper on the evening and after the enkai ended, we made our way down the street to the after party. There was more drinking and a lot of karaoke, but I decided to switch to water, much to the horror of the increasingly rowdy parents. We were soon joined by David and Jeffrey and my drunken self was ready to turn in around midnight, so after a soulful rendition of Sexual Healing, we bounced. It was definitely a fun time.

On Sunday, I surprised Dave by taking him to the Nagoya Port Acquarium and it was so damn cool. I haven't uploaded my pics, but I'll blog about it in my next post.

For some time, I've had the sneaking suspicision of whining about my time here. This blog has become a cathartic release for me. I like talking about the highs and lows and I'm not going to apologize for using this blog as an outlet for bitching and moaning, but I feel like I'm back on track with so much to look forward to in the coming 5 months. I'm happy with my decision to stay another year. But it's good to get a reality check from a friend once in a while:

"Hey Kakita,

Hope you are well. Just read your blogger. How can you be down in the dumps over there. Is it because you just left Montreal and are missing your family already. Don’t whine about it. Like you said, you’re there for 14 months so you might as well make the best of it. That hobby thing sounds really good. Pick something unusual that you probably won’t be able to do in Montreal. Master it and then when you come back, you can give classes. Start a whole new business. I don’t think I have to remind you that you are doing such a courageous thing. Going over there and teaching these kids. Not many people would actually do it. They may talk about it, but you are actually living your dream. You should just stop and think about that. In your old age (many years from now) you’ll be telling your grandkids about this adventure. It is so amazing sometimes, I think you don’t realize just how amazing you are."

I received this email from a friend and ex-coworker. Yeah, I feel pretty fucking amazing right now...

By the way, here the link to hair progress site: http://public.fotki.com/kakita/ My hair is growing! Yatta!

May promises to be a busy month. We have 3 consecutive days off in May (Golden Week) and David and I will be going to Tokyo. My birthday will be spent in Okinawa and David's bday will be at the end of the month. Tanoshimi yo! (I'm looking forward to it). A bientot.

No comments: