Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Okay, I lied...

the last blog wasn't the last one before Okinawa because I wanted to post some reviews.

Firstly, I have a couple of web sites I wanted to share. The first is http://bigoe.blogspot.com/ This blog is written by a 23 year old Aussie who is currently working and living in London. The site chronicles her time travelling to different Europeon countries, living in a different (yet quite similar) culture and basically having a great time. She writes well, she has loads of great links and resources and her posts leave me a little breathless each time I read them. I have another year here in Japan, but I'm certainly getting ideas for what I should do later.

The second web site that I check quite often, especially when I need to cackle at someone else's expense is http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/ Fugly is fucking-ugly combined and this site basically rips to shreds the sometimes dubious wardrobe choices stars and their assistants make when going outside in public. The writing is superb and sometimes as black as tar (their Tom Cruise rips slay me). So if you're a celebrity junky/fashion watcher like me, go ahead and indulge in some bitchiness. It can be oh so fun.

Secondly, I wanted to report on a movie that I saw this past weekend: V for Vendetta. Oh. My. God. Go see this film. Take someone smart with you. Discuss the film at length after it's over. Natalie Portman is fantastic in this film. You seriously might consider taking up acting because she is so good in this role. You never see Hugo Weaving's face but if like Shakespearean soliloquy, you will be tickled. I'm not going to get into the particulars of this film, but if you like smart, fast paced, violent, challenging-the-status-quo films that are set in somewhere other than America, THEN GO SEE THIS FILM.

Thirdly, I have to rant about Aveda Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner. After chopping off my hair, and before leaving Montreal to return to Japan, I bought a lot of hair products. Given that I wouldn't have a whole lot of options here, let's just say I stocked up on a variety of products. I was particularly excited about the Aveda products as I heard good things about them. After consulting other African-Americans/Canadians, and speaking at length with the African-Canadian Aveda salesperson who had recently cut off her natural locks and had a short do, I bought the very expensive shampoo and conditioner. Now, I was pretty happy with my Pantene Relaxed and Natural products, but decided to try out the Aveda. Well, it sucked. It sucked ass. It made my hair dry, brittle, crunchy, tangled - I couldn't detangle my hair and there was absolutely no mositure in it after it was dry. I gave Aveda a good shot - 3 washes, but it was obvious to me yesterday when I pulled out several knots out of my hair that this would have to go. I went back to Pantene this morning.

Lastly, I went to a hip hop dance class this past Sunday. Hip hop dance class, you ask? But you're black (ref?). I just wanted to dance around and feel good. I could do that for free at home but there is something to be said for joining an activity and getting out of your apartment. I had a great time. The music was bangin' (Cut Chemist, exsqueeze me??), the instructor was really good (even with his one rolled up pant leg) and everyone was really inviting. I met a really sweet high school student named Marnie who spoke excellent English and I expect to become friends with her. Good times.

I am also contemplating joining the kendo club. The three new members, all first grade girls, have really inspired me and I kicked ass today, so I might commit to it. Still mulling it over.

That's it for now. Probably.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the ref from The Office, American version? when they have a basketball game, and the black guy sucks, so the retarded boss, is beyond himself and says :"but you are black?"
or am I way off?
Even with the shaved head, I still would.... ;)

dan

K said...

sorry dan, the ref is from Lethal Weapon part 2. If Jenn posted on this site, or even read it, she would have known.

Sean, you made my day. Hey everybody, I'm tremendously beautiful!