Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Tao of Koyou...

In Japan, koyou, or autumn colours viewing, is a huge thing. Millions of people take time to visit temples, shrines, parks and other places where trees are to behold the beauty of nature. The most famous and beloved leaves are the momoji, maple leaves. They are also my favourite. Fall is quite spectacular in Japan and it makes me a little sad to think that this will be my last one here. But then again, with winter being right around the corner, those feelings are normally short-lived.


On Saturday, Dave and I drove to the nearby town of Tanigumi and walked around in a beautiful temple complex, probably one of my favourites in Japan. Naturally, there were tons of people around, but I still managed to get some good shots with my new and fab camera, the Canon IXY 800IS. It's the newer model of the camera I wanted to buy (as mentioned in my previous post), but it's a beaut. I've been taking pictures like a fiend and I'm loving my new best friend. But I digress.


Before heading to Tanigumi, we stopped at a tree that looked like it was on fire. It was that red. It's the last tree in this series, and it's also the one I'm posing under by myself. I've been wanting to shoot it for a while and I was lucky enough that I got some pics before all the trees got naked for the winter.



We've been really lucky this autumn. The temperatures have been mild save for the last week or so, but the sights have been spectacular. I recommend that anyone come to Japan between October and November. This will definitely be a season that I won't forget anytime soon.







This is my village.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you're camera equipped again. Where'd you get it(store,city)?

Shiloh said...

Kaki,
your pics rule! Im glad you had a great time with the Kouyou. It is a beautiful time.
Shi

elise said...

Kaki,
Your new camera captures natural lighting and colours beautifully! I'm glad you're able to enjoy the lovely fall days with it!
-elise

K said...

I got my camera from Yamada Denki in the Gifu area. I did some research first and got exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the comments people!