Saturday, December 15, 2007

The other day, as I was waiting for the light to change to cross the street, I realized that I am actually living in England. Yes, it has been 3 months since I stepped on British soil, but sometimes it just hits you, you know? It happened pretty much all the time until about the last day I was in Japan. It’s so easy to take things for granted sometimes. Shiloh and Dave taught me a lot about living in the moment and enjoying what you have NOW rather than fretting too much about the past and the future. I’ve gotten better at doing this, though with the peaks and valleys of settling in a new country, you sometimes lose that insight. But wow. I never thought I’d take a huge leap and live away from my beloved Montreal. I lived in Ottawa for almost four years, but Montreal was always home for me. But here I am, living in my third country within a 2.5 year time period and taking leaps of faith when I would never have fathomed jumping. In the back of my head, home is always there for me, so in a way, a little of the pressure is taken off, but when I commit, I commit. I’m going to be 30 in 6 months and I’ve started to take stock of my life thus far. I used to fret about not having anything to show for my life when I was in my early 20’s, and to a lesser extent, I still do, but I’ve grown so much into ME, it’s a little funny. It feels good.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Japan is and forever will be an irrevocable part of my life. I feel such an affinity for many things Japanese and I have such a tender spot for the country and its people. I read a NY Times article and I felt like I knew the subject, Ms. Matsuyama. When she was talking about preparing sukiyaki and oden for her kids, my memories nearly overwhelmed me. Mmmm, it’s totally sukiyaki and onsen season right now. I wish I could just go to the onsen, get nekkid and soak my worries away. Don’t get me wrong; I got my fill, but it never seems like enough. Dave and I have noticed a few Japanese people in Nottingham (I saw loads in Edinburgh) and we both agreed that there’s a certain sense of knowing and happiness when we’re in their vicinity. There is a trio of Japanese girls that attend the college where I work, and I always try to sit near them when I catch them on my lunch break. I catch snippets of their conversation (in Japanese) and I smile, fully understanding what they’re talking about.

I gave in my notice at work almost 2 weeks ago. I think I made a real impression here as they don’t want me to go. As much as I know that this isn’t the sort of thing I want to do with my life, I was good at it, fit in well with the team and learned a few things (another nice notch on my CV). Perhaps I will get a little moist in the eyes when I say goodbye next Wednesday when the College closes down for the holidays.

I got really excited after I read DBM’s blog (I feel you girl, keep writing!) and from a link to a link to a link, I found my way to http://www.servas.org/newsite It’s a UN affiliated organization that aims to foster peace and international organization through putting hosts and travellers together. The deal is for a small membership fee, travellers can board at the home of a host for 2 or more days FOR FREE. You know I signed up for that post-haste. This is so valuable for solo travellers, comme moi. The only trouble is deciding where to go first. I’m thinking I’ll take my first trip in January. Any suggestions???

I’ve pretty much decided to take a sun holiday in February with TravelEyes. Basically, sighted and blind travellers travel together to cool locales. Due to the fact I recently decided to take a sun holiday every year in either February or March (when SAD hits the hardest), what would be better than going to Fuerteventura of the Canary Islands? Maybe winning the lottery? Maybe, yes. I’m hoping to visit London as bookends to my trip. Just gotta check with my cousins.

On one of those links of a link I visited today, I read about someone who prayed for a friend, and literally 3 days later, got one. I’d definitely like to have a friend, someone who fit. I feel blessed that I can call or email anyone at home whenever I need to, and that I’m living with the one I love (and my ultimate best friend), but it would be great to have a great friend. As one gets older, it’s more difficult to make real friends and really connect. So, as I walking to the bank machine, I said a little prayer and asked for a friend, someone like me, who was funny, smart, well read, pretty (I don’t know why I threw that in – pretty on the inside? I hope I’m not that shallow), and very importantly, available. Let’s hope I get lucky sometime soon.

I've been SOO slack with taking pictures lately, especially of the stuff I've been eating lately. Also, it has just occurred to me that I don't have a Lonely Planet England yet. I haven't had time to be a tourist yet so I'm now looking forward to the two months I have off. I promise, I'll post on the proclivities and absurdities of people and things while I'm living in a country that is HRM (Her Royal Majesty's) everything. Should be good.

2 comments:

Black Wombmyn Chat said...

"I used to fret about not having anything to show for my life when I was in my early 20’s, and to a lesser extent, I still do, but I’ve grown so much into ME, it’s a little funny. It feels good."

I understand how you feel. It's a shame that we are taught that our lives have no value unless we have something to "show" for it. Which, ulitmately is ridiculous. It's almost like that whole, "It is better to look good than to feel good" kind of mentality.

The best thing is that in your thirties, you begin to better appreciate the value of living well and feeling good inside--no matter how little "credentials" you have listed on your life's resume.

I think you are beginning to feel that now. Good for you!

dancing chaos said...

hey hey hey - a few thoughts for you:

1. While in San Francisco, went to a place called kabuki and introduced my friend to the concept of public baths. She actually had a spiritual experience, and the place was not gaudy at all.

2. Reading about the 'moments of realisation' that you're in another place threw me back to at least 20 moments in Japan... Funny, i get those in Ottawa but they usually involve me rolling my eyes after some 40-something involves me in a near-death-by-frontal-collision-due-to- Blackberry-use WALKING down the street. Or the 20-something novice counterpart, a Burberry-scarfed, Nine West raincoat-in-December-wearing new public servant (the kind that think that if you look like a diplo then you are a diplo).

sigh.

and

3. I love you. and I'm back in the blog game, although rusty, uninspired and admittedly only part time. It's harder to blog about a place when it's in the same language as your colleagues and, admittedly, can easily be google-searched.