Tuesday, September 13, 2005

September 13, 2005

I love teaching at the elementary school. I love seeing the children's faces when we play a game, or sing a song, or when they meet me in the hallway. They are just so full of exuberance and excitement. I was beat today, but seeing their little faces brought my energy level right up. It was as hot as Hades, one of my lessons nearly flopped, and I thought I was going to fall asleep standing up after lunch, but their energy. Gets a girl to thinkin...

I have a kid with Downs Syndrome in one of my classes. He often spends a lot of time with his head down and his hands over his ears, but when we make a connection, I feel so proud. His special ed. teacher (he's the only one) is with him nearly 24/7 and since he's not used to me, she took a picture of me which she brings to class to help him associate. Because he doesn't really participate with the oral part of the lessons, the homeroom teacher gives him the job of putting the pictures on the board. He absolutely loves doing it.

So far, so good. Some classes are more challenging than others, but it really keeps me on my toes. How can I ever be a desk jockey/paper pusher again????

I am also in awe of the teachers. It is hard work to keep little minds and bodies occupied ALL DAY. I have always respected teachers and education (I was always a hardcore nerd - my report cards can attest to that), but seeing the blood and guts of it all really makes me marvel at their sheer awesomeness (duh, i'm a engrish teacher). Dal, teachers everywhere, I tip my hat to you...

I am throughly enjoying the BBC series The Office, which I recently purchased. I am often cringing, slapping my forehead or laughing out loud when watching it. It brings back some harsh memories of the white collar office world. Again, how could I ever go back to that????

School lunches - sometimes a hit and mess affair. Most of the time, I love my lunch and am ever so pleased. There are times, however, when I act unprofessionally and give away my lunch. Like yesterday, when we were served fish that were filled with tiny fish eggs. It was just gross. I gave away 2/3 fishies. Shudder...

Cheryl, thanks for calling me last night! You made my week.

The Dirty Dozen is on. That's pretty hot.

Random thoughts. Random thoughts.

No comments: