Sunday, February 19, 2006

Earthquakes big and small...

We had an earthquake here that registered from my mountain village to the city centre. It was my first large earthquake, and it wasn't even that bad because it registered between 3 and 4 on the Richter scale (apparently the highest magnitude is an 8). I was in bed having just fallen asleep and I felt the shaking. At first, I had to shake off the sleep drunkeness and was momentarily awed by this extraordinary sensation. This quickly gave way to fear when I remembered that I was sleeping under my seemingly heavy ceiling light. I sprang up, fully aware that I had some difficulty walking in a straight line and made my way to my door frame (I remember this training from elementary school, I think). While I was holding unto the frame white knuckled, or as white knuckled as I could possibly be, I wondered if I should turn off the gas. And then it stopped. Yeah, I was freaked, I admit it. But Shi and Dave made me feel better and I was relieved that it wasn't bigger. I can't help to think about all those people who died in Kobe 6 years ago, and the lives that were lost in my village 100 years ago. I think I've already mentioned that Neo lies on a fault line. Goo-dy. Also, a quick survey of my apartment revealed fallen photos and shifted items. Luckily, no cracks.

Had a great weekend though. Headed up to Ena to see Dave, where I recharged my batteries by watching Family Guy episode after episode, watching a couple of movies including Batman Begins, which I thought was phenominal, and eating a little too well. The work week begins again tomorrow and I feel good about it. I have to work this Saturday and go to an enkai after it, but I plan on spending Sunday and my day off on Monday relaxing, reading and possibly baking in my apartment for the first time. I'm really looking forward to the baking then eating part.

I'm getting hungry so I'm going to heat up some leftovers and watch my bootleg DVD of Memoirs of a Geisha. Before I go, here's a nice pic of a notoriously infamous Japanese dirty little secret: the underwear vending machine. Yes boys and girls, for either 3,500, 7,000 or a whopping 10,000 yen, you too can buy panties worn by a cute little schoolgirl. Doesn't it just make you want to puke?

No comments: