Thursday, July 28, 2005


July 28, 2005

This is the beginning of my adventure. I arrived in Japan on July 24, 2005 and it has been full steam ahead since then. After 3 exhausting days of orientation on how to become the perfect JET, I arrived at my new home in Neo-mura, Gifu-ken, Japan. My non-English speaking supervisor (who ironically wrote to me by email in English), and the driver greeted me at the train station and we, along with another JET, were off!

Very briefly:

· We took a tour of the main city
· Met the Mayor
· Collected a million business cards
· Had several glasses of tea
· Shopped for dinner and breakfast at the konbini
· Signed our contracts and got our shit ready for our gaikokujin card
· Picked up our luggage and finally parted ways to begin our new lives in our respective areas.

I found out a couple of days ago that my area is really considered a village, and when the car left the city and started rolling through lush green mountains, I got less afraid of what was to come. The picture at the top is what I get to look at for the next year or so.

I am lucky enough to be stationed at only 2 schools: Neo Junior High School on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and Neo Elementary School on Tuesdays and Thursdays.


When I got in, I met some of my co-workers and the principals and vice-principals of both schools and was informed that after my luggage was delivered to my apartment, I was expected at my welcome party! Will update soon!

No comments: