Sunday, July 31, 2005

July 31, 2005

What a difference a couple of days make!! I got my keitai (celly) on Friday and I made/received a few phone calls, so I feel like I’m connected. I even checked my email on the keitai this morning. So cool, so sogoy!

Today was a good day. I woke up without the alarm clock and felt refreshed. I spoke to Melissa (another Jetter) and had a good chat. After that, I just felt like I could do anything during my stay here, it’s just a matter of organizing myself and getting focused. I’ve started to change my mindset about the next year or so, and rather than looking at it as a year, I’m looking at it as a series of quarters. This quarter is looking pretty good as I have plans for the next few weeks, and thinking about what I will do in the next few months. August: I will be exploring the Gifu area, and may make a trip to Nagoya. September: I intend on going to Tokyo to see some peeps and get a taste (i.e. reminder) of the big city. I also want to visit the World Expo in Nagoya before it comes to an end. October: I hope to visit Mel in Kagawa-ken for her birthday and for some bonding. December: I want to do something splashy and big for the new year and this may entail taking a few days off from the school. I’m thinking China, Singapore, Malaysia, or something like that. These plans calm me down a bit and put me in a better headspace. I hope I can do all this and more.

So, up until a few minutes ago, I was trying to do some Japanese study, and I mistakenly left the t.v. on. BIG MISTAKE!! I got sucked into a television show that featured some kind of contest to see who learned things quicker: a girl, a boy, or a chimpanzee!!! The series of tasks included riding a bike without training wheels (the boy won), making pancakes (the girl won), and putting on lipstick (again, the girl one). Though the chimp walked away as the loser, he provided ridiculous hilarity to a potentially offensive subject. Shit, I laughed out loud when he tried to make pancakes. Crazy Japanese t.v. Oh, and the kicker was that the chimp’s handler was a man dressed as a woman, complete with a floral dress and blond wig. WTF??!!!

The program has now switched gears and morphed into some nature show that featured killer ants, a snake eating a mouse, and lots and lots or larvae. EWWW!!!!

Ok, now polar bears are on the t.v., which reminds me of a potential problem I may encounter here in the boondocks – black bears. Apparently, there may be bears in the surrounding area and I am freaked the fuck out. I asked the English sensei what I should do if I encounter a bear and she said to walk verrry slowly!!! Is that supposed to save my life??!!!! Note to self: must do research on survival techniques and black bears.

Oh, yes, did I mention that there are monkeys in the area as well?? Apparently, the come out and play more often than the bears. Ok, I didn’t sign up to be a mutherfucking Crocodile Hunter-type dude. Ok, K. Just keep your head on. I’ve already decided that I will not go out alone after dark. Monkeys and bears aside, there aren’t too many street lights in my area. If I leave my town to go to a city, you can be damned sure that I’m sleeping out!!!
Ok, since you’ve been so good and read all of the above, here are some pics to make you happy (or jealous)…

All fear aside, I really feel blessed. My downstairs neighbour brought me an omiyage (gift) and it sure was tasty. I know I’m going to like living here…(of course, this assertion will inevitably lead to an all out bitch fest sooner or later!)

P.S. I got to meet the JHS students and executed my self-introduction flawlessly. My kocho-sensei (principal) introduced me and mentioned that my family is from Ghana, Africa. I think it impressed the kids. Anyway, I played badminton with the JTE and will join the badminton and kendo teams. I’ve also agreed to play to an Italian instrument that the Japanese love. I forgot the name of it, but it is similar to the flute (which I have experience with), but looks like a seashell. Should be interesting. All in all, JHS should be fun.

No comments: