Tuesday, August 02, 2005

August 2, 2005

Today was a good day, thanks in large part to the internet. I spent nearly 2 hours on it today, because really, there’s only so much of nothing that I can do! Got a little sad when I read that Aya had her 30th birthday at the Ritz. I think the homesickness is creeping in, but I’m keeping busy. I played a game called indiaka last night. It is similar to volleyball except the ball looks like a mini oval volleyball with a shuttlecock attached to it. It took me a little while to get the serves and volleys right, but then it just started to flow. And boy, was it a workout! I have sweat like that for a long while! Tonight, it’s badminton, which I haven’t played in oh, about 13 years! Regardless of that, it’s all about the bonding with the schoolteachers and neighbors and getting out of the apartment.

The Japanese language seems to be coming along for me. My ear has started to pick up things and my vocab is growing. I met the “Gas Man” today, and I was able to understand some of what he said. I’ll probably have longer conversations soon! YAY for me.

I also rode the train yesterday so I’ll be an independent woman soon. Actually, I will be this weekend when I travel to the prefecture’s major city, Gifu City for a walking tour and to see the fireworks. Due to the wild animal situation here (monkeys and tigers and bears, OH MY!), I’ve decided that if I can’t make it back to my apartment before nightfall, I’m sleeping out. I’ve already made a few friends with some Gifu people, so I’m not worried.

I have a little crush going on with a City Hall dude. He’s Japanese, super thin, somewhat effeminate and oh so helpful. So not my type, but I’ve chalked it up to needing to have a little fun. (He will be mine! Muuahhahhaa! [Evil laugh]). There are a couple of potentials on the island, but they’d probably be too complicated, so I’m not going there. Yet.

Here’s a picture of the elementary school kids swimming today. I wanted to rip off my skirt and jump in with them! I think it’s too early to scare them, though! ENJOY!




My dear lovelies, can you believe I’m actually doing this? I’m so proud of me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LeperColony said...

I have a friend over there right now in the JET program. Actually, he should be starting his third year there soon.

What made you decide to try it?

Anonymous said...

Nice blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a landscape lighting site. It pretty much covers landscape lighting related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)