Thursday, August 25, 2005



August 25, 2005

I am having a low energy day today, but for good reason - one of my best friends had a baby yesterday!!! I was so excited, I felt like throwing up. I bought a phone card and called Montreal to speak with another bf, who is also expecting, and got the low down. I then called the new mommy and it felt like I was back home. By the time I got off the phone at 11:30 p.m., I was too wired to sleep. I took a shower and got online to cruise the net. Went to bed around 1 a.m. Yeesh.

This morning was pretty brutal and even more so because I hadn't eaten for the last 12 hours in preparation for my FULL BODY PHYSICAL EXAMINATION!!! Last week, T. and T-sensei had to explain to me in Japanese and English that I was expected to provide not one, but two stool samples. I've never had to do such a thing and it was one of the most uncomfortable conversations I've ever experienced. But, in true Japanese form, an informative and brightly coloured pamphlet was included in the exam kit. Ain't this somethin':

Anyway, I was subjected to a surprisingly pain-free blood test, hearing and eye exams, blood pressure test, lung check, some kind of test where they put things all over my body, and had my weight and height checked (I haven't gained a pound - YAY). In the end, it was more of a slight pain in my ass than anything else, and hey, I got to experience something few JETs will.

Back in the teacher's room, I struggled to keep my eyes open and my wits about me. I asked to order a bento, then everyone else did, and we had a very pleasant lunch together. Sometime around 2 pm, a lady came to the room and asked to speak to me. We had a private tete-a-tete and she basically asked if I could be her and her friend's English tutor. She mentioned something about fruits and veggies and food and I have to assume that she was talking about payment for the lessons. I said sure and then she mentioned that her friend is 77 years old. Oy! I said sure, not a problem (I sincerely hope) and asked that in addition to the hour of English tutoring, we spend 30 minutes speaking Japanese. She agreed and we shook on it. It's really funny how anyone and everyone will just hit me up for conversation (she was the second lady today who talked to me out of the blue), when in Montreal we all go about our business without hardly looking people in the face. It's a nice change and one that I'm really embracing.

When I got home, I decided to go out for a walk and found the waterfalls shown at the top of this post. Sigh. I am so not a nature girl, but I love my surroundings.

Yesterday I hung out with my pred., D. Such a lovely man. Took me shopping (I think we spent 2 hours at Kahma), had dinner at a really good Indian resto (nan, sweet, sweet nan), made me laugh and gave me some advice and insights into my new world, and drove me back home. Will definitely hook up with him again soon. Before we went to eat, I caught sight of this phenomenom that seems distinct to Japan:



D. seemed to be a bit nervous that I was taking the picture, but I couldn't stop laughing! Just imagine what would happen if there was a car accident - stuffed animals everywhere!

Anyway, not much new with me. I'm going to Osaka tomorrow so I will share the details soon. Til then, hang tight!

One more pic for you: This is the route I take to the JHS every second day: I really take the time to stop and smell the roses (and keep a lookout for monkeys...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaki-TA,

I was hoping you'd do a blog!! Now we can all keep up with your adventure.

We missed you at Under Pressure.

Good news about our common friend! I will have to call them tonight.

Keep the blog posts coming, and take lots of pictures!

Anonymous said...

kaki, i'm having a blast reading this blog. good to hear you are having such a wonderful time. keep the pics coming!!
ps i saw your mom at the dr's office. "Hi..traceee?" stacy