Tuesday, August 23, 2005

August 23, 2003

I do believe that I may be coming down from my initial Japan euphoria. Last night, before an indiaka match, it just hit me that I live in the country. In the middle of Japan. In Asia. Far, far away from my friends. In a country where I don't speak the language. Or can read the signs. I knew that this day was coming and when it finally came, I was more or less prepared. But I nearly broke down when an older woman touched my face, maybe because she wanted to make sure that my skin colour didn't come off. Ooooh, I was so close to crying. But, I got up and played the game. I wasn't on top of it, but I did feel better at the end. And I did sleep well after taking a nice, long shower and talking to a local friend. When episodes like this occur, I just have to fully embrace it, work through it, distract myself and move on. I'm happy that I'm mature enough handle this properly.

I had a good weekend though. Ed, the dashing Scotsman, came over and we had dinner and watched a couple of movies, including Monty Python and the Holy Grail. So not what I expected and a bit disappointed, but the company was good. We woke up the next morning and just lounged until we had lunch. I walked him to the train station and come home to get ready for a concert in the park. It was a lot better than I expected and got a delicious bento out of it.

On Sunday, I hooked up with Shouichi, a young Japanese man I met at badminton. When we first met, he asked if I wanted to bake choco-chip cookies with him. I said sure on a whim, then got increasingly nervous as the countdown to b-day began. But I worried for nothing because it was a really fun day and he got to practice English while I practiced Japanese. We had dinner with his parents, his sister and his nephew and this is a pic of Shouichi looking so proud of our handiwork (the flash surprised the shit out of him - can you tell??):




I'm at school now and the term begins next week. I must admit that I'm nervous. I don't have a plan, and anyone who knows me knows that I'm a serious planner. Will get on that ASAP. But in the meantime, I'm thinking about Osaka this weekend where I will hook up with MTL Mel. Can't wait for our mini-reunion, the shopping and hopefully, a bit of sightseeing. It's always good to have something to look forward to...

Oooh, and we got paid on Friday. I fired off some cash home and am thinking about what I'm going to buy. I need some things for the apato, but I'm thinking that an ipod and a Coach handbag is in the imminent future. WHAT???!!!? So what if I'm in inaka in Japan and no one will blink if I'm rockin' a Coach purse, but I've wanted one for years...(JUSTIFY,JUSTIFY,JUSTIFY) Will definitely keep you posted on THAT. And also thinking about China in December...And Tokyo next month - hmmm, maybe a nice perm and a bikini wax...Ahhhh. That would be so nice - not during the wax mind you, but after. Mmmmm...

Ok, drooling on keyboard. Updatacha lata!

1 comment:

elise said...

Perhaps you can get both a Coach purse and an iPod (which, in any case would fit into your Coach purse)!