Monday, January 23, 2006

It’s been a rollercoaster lately…

One day, I’ll be skipping and hopping merrily to and from school, then the next day I’m furiously contemplating where I will live next, then the next day I’m sniffling into the phone, moaning about the winter blues. I’m sure these rapid mood changes can be attributed to SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder – it’s very real thank you very much, Google it), my consistently frozen state inside my apartment, and a little PMS thrown in for good measure. But I’m working through it. I’ve decide to re-integrate exercise into my life full time (right now it’s 3 times a week in the morning before school – I will be slowly moving up to 5 days a week), which seems to be helping, and I’m eating better so I’m feeling physically more genki. I’m also taking in the physical beauty surrounding me every day and being grateful for the great situation I have. It truly is just one day at a time. So simple, but also so difficult…

So, I’ve been a little busy and a little out of it, so I’ve failed to update you on the personal going ons in my life. On January 15, I had my first earthquake here in Neo. I think it was about a 2 or 3 on the scale and while it lasted only a few seconds, it was enough to rattle me slightly. It was funny because David had just left me and I was watching Lord of War (thanks Dal – it was excellent), when my sliding door starting rattling. I thought “who the hell is slamming the door so hard that my doors are moving??”, then I realized that the whole building was moving, and consequently, so was I. And when the full realization hit me, the earthquake ended. My cheeks were flushed with fear, and I was having heart palpitations and the silence was echoing in my ears. I called David because he was driving home at the time it happened, but he didn’t answer the phone (he was alright – he didn’t even feel it). Anyway, at school the next day, everyone was nonplussed, but it took me about a day to get over the shock that this was just a baby tremor and we’re due for a big one sometime this century. Tanoshimi (can’t wait).

I’m also ecstatic to report that I will be a godmother! Shauna san bestowed this honour upon me recently (somewhat unbeknownst to me – damn you email! I mean, I love you!), and when I go home for a brief visit, we’ll make it official. That’s new too: I’ve booked my ticket to visit home so that means I’ll get to meet the new babies, eat multicultural food, go shopping and actually buy clothes that fit my bootylicious body, and hug and talk to my peeps. Honto no tanoshimi (really can’t wait). I’ve actually started making a list of all the things I will do. I’ve also decided that I will be getting a car when I come back.

In other news, I had two days off work this week due to a mid-year conference on Monday and an interactive foreign teacher day at a nearby ES. It was fun that I got to meet other ALTs and hang out with new kids, but it really solidified how lucky I feel about working in such small schools. I was sent to the first grade class today, and each grade has two classes. The class that I was in had about 30 kids! At Neo ES, the most I’ll have is 17 with the average being 12. And I know all my kids’ names, at both schools. God, sure I’m a bit isolated, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. And with the arrival of my car in the near future, I’ll be much more mobile. Japanese classes during the week! A movie too! Being able to go out without having to sleep at anyone’s place! To be free again! Oh, what a feeling, I’ll be dancing on the ceiling (ref?).

Oh, but I’ve digressed. In addition to meeting ALTs from all over the world today (Canada, America, Australia, UK, Indonesia, India, Bangladesh), I met the person who replaced Aussie Dave (my predecessor), and guess what! He’s Black! And he’s a dread! And we started talking about hair (NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK), and apparently he knows a girl who braids hair in Nagoya. Though I’ve decided to chop off my hair and go natural (perhaps I’ll start a blog about that journey), I’d like to get my hair braided now before I go home. I called this one African chick in Nagoya and she had the fucking balls to try to charge me $280 with hair, $190 if I bring my own, and $100 for simple cornrows. Ok, to put it in perspective, I usually pay $60 back home (AT MOST), and I paid $110 to a chick in Hyogo. This was ludicrous and I told her I’ve never paid that much to get my hair done, and I ain’t about to start now. I told my mom about the sheer lunacy and my mom said I should tell her to go back to Africa! (Before you jump on me and try to get all PC, let me just remind you that I’m African-Canadian and my mom just got back from her trip there. If you still don’t understand, you should have just been there). Anyway, hair issues – meh.

And that’s all I’m going to share for today. Enjoy these pics from our ES yuki ga matsuri (snow fest) the other day. The kids were overjoyed by the new snowfall that lead to the start of the fest while I was praying that it would all disappear before David comes for the weekend. It’s Thursday now, so I’ll hopefully get my wish.
This is my team. They were so dedicated and hard working. So much so that I could hardly keep up. When I injured myself by bashing my knee with the handle of my shovel, they came to my rescue and made snowballs to put on it. I love my kids.



This is a pic of one of my first graders. He broke his leg over the winter holidays, but is still as genki and bright as ever. The vice principal carried him out at the end so he could partake in the festivities. Here is clapping after some speeches. Such a sweetheart.















Keep emailing me and encouraging me because a little goes a long way. I spoke to my mom today for the first time in about 6 weeks (she was in Ghana), and she sent me plenty of good vibes. And tomorrow is Friday then Shiloh is having a costume pot luck on Saturday. Should be awesome. Will report on it later.

One last thing – I’m sending a shot out to David and Shiloh. These two have been there for me so much over the last few months (and I hope I’ve returned the favour), and I feel so lucky to have them in my life. They are so encouraging, so giving, so funny and so warm and cozy, while possessing the frankness and seriousness I need to give balance to my life. Last weekend, a whole gang of us when bowling and out for dinner, and while it was nice to catch up with everyone after our holiday, it was especially nice to be with these guys. There’s so much I want to say about Shiloh and David, but I save the real important stuff for our conversations. I heart them so much. Thank god they are both staying another year. I Looking forward to many more days and nights of laughter, tomfoolery and stimulating talks. And can’t wait to climb Fuji with you (that’s another post).

Latah.

1 comment:

Shiloh said...

Kaki,
Your too sweet. Chyamingu! I was so suprised to get such a gracious cameo on your site. Believe me the feeling is mutual. Definatly stoked that we're gonna be together for another year, at least ;)
Love you tons.