Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Fear of a white mask...

I think I'm going Japanese, I think I'm going Japanese, I really think so. I've been feeling shitty since Monday, and when I woke up on Tuesday, I knew I had a full blown cold. So I decided to follow my co-workers leads and protect them from my germs by wearing a mask. It worked out pretty well yesterday because I was at the elementary school, and no joke, about 80% of them was wearing a mask. I also found out that there is a full blown flu pandemic at school and kids have been dropping like flies. Of course, this is worrisome to me since I can't afford to get sick like that right now, so I was taking extra precautions. But by the end of the day, I felt sick to my stomach and achy all over, so I left at like 4:31.

This morning, I felt a bit better because I went to bed really early, but my cold was severe. So I fastened on the mask and did my business at the JHS. I got a whole bunch of "Kaki-sensei, kaze desu ka?" and while I wanted to say, no, I'm not sick, I just like the contrast of the white, white mask, against my dark, dark skin, I simply replied that I was in fact sick. Well, their concern turned into something far more sinister. They were insistent, to the point of great discomfort for me, that I go to the hospital. Well, if you remember, I went to the neighbourhood hospital several months ago to get my cut finger repaired and observed the obvious differences between Japanese and Canadian hospitals. I was not eager to repeat this experience. But several teachers tried to convince me and after much polite yet forceful Japanese pushing, I caved and said I would go, but if it was just a cold, I would come back to school. I didn't want to go out like a sucka, especially since these folks are here every day, in sickness and in health. I'm sure they'd even come to school if they had Ebola. Well, the science teacher actually took me aside and said she was really sorry, but it was a really important time of year for the 3rd grade JHS students because they were getting ready for entrance exams and had to be in peak physical and mental condition, and I should take care of myself and think about them. Really, how could I argue with that? So I did what I was told and did the hospital thing. I don't have "infurenza", they stuck a nasty piece of gauze coated with something that looked like iodine but tasted like roasted shit down my throat, gave me three types of drugs to take 3 times a day, charged me 1100 yen (about 14$ CAD) and sent me on my merry way.

But I'm in better spirits now; I made myself a very nice lunch of gyozas, pan friend veggies and brown rice, sent off a few emails, did some internet research, had a bit of a nice nap, had a good chat with David, and stared at my flowers for a while. The colours really make me feel good.

I also watched today's State of the Union Address from Dubya and going to look up what exactly is the U.S. Patriot Act, because when he said he wanted to initiate it again, Hilary Clinton had such a look of sheer disbelief on her face that it intrigued me. I'm also thinking about Bradgelina's pregnancy and how it's possible for these people to have pinned the tail on the donkey so quickly. Seriously, don't people take proper birth control precautions anymore? I'm also still a little shocked about finding out that Japan has a terrible AIDS problem, apparently one of the worst in the industrialized world. And I am absolutely perturbed that I haven't seen any of the movies that are Oscar nominees. I've fallen off. Damn Japan and their limited release of English movies! Joking, joking. OK, half joking.

Oh yeah, I received a stack on envelopes from the "North Pole" today. Before xmas, I got my 4th grade ES kids to write letters to Santa, and I really did send them to him (Canada has a program where kids can write to Santa and he'll write back). I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they receive their bonafide letters from Santa himself. Even if they can see through the bullshit, I'm sure they'll be stoked at actually receiving a reply.

Later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With your history of quoting things, then asking if we know where that's from, do you know what they really mean in the song "turning Japanese"?

Think "She Bop" by Cyndi Lauper.


Yes, that's right, masturbation.

elise said...

love the pic... though you don't scare me. Feel better soon, buddy!