Thursday, July 20, 2006

I felt somewhat ashamed...

When I read this article on the BBC web site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5188680.stm I am a Canadian with a rich, proud Ghanian heritage. The Ghanian culture is full of beauty and tradition, and the society is peaceful and generous. But I'm ashamed to say that polygamy and man-sharing, particularly in the north of the country, is an aspect that I'm unbelievably pissed off about. Growing up in a household with two Ghanian parents and scores of relatives afforded me up close and personal contact with the drama that unfolds when men, yes men, are greedy and selfish. It drives me wild with impotent fury and makes me both pity and scorn the women who stand for it.

Here are some bits taken from the linked article that I must comment on:

When he leaves me to sleep with another wife, it's painful and I feel very jealous, but I just have to accept it. Umm, no, no you don't. You don't have to accept such behaviour from the man you married. You don't have to put up with physical risk in the form of the ever so popular HIV/AIDS. You're married, but doll, not many folks sign up for this horseshit. Take advantage of the lax cultural values towards marriage, call up a divorce lawyer, and stop the insanity!

Polygamy causes stress. Gee, that's a fucking understatement. Your hubby is getting it on with two other women THAT YOU KNOW OF, you don't work because you choose not to or can't, you have kids to support and your self-esteem is in the toilet. But, I have a funny feeling that by cutting out the cancer that is your marriage, things just might get better.

Taken from another woman: As Muslims, we accept polygamy. If a man wants to marry another wife and she refuses, she refuses God. Umm, yeah, I'm not a Muslim, but I'm a woman, and as a woman, I'm pretty sure that God wants EVERYBODY to be happy. Not just the man and the man's penis, but EVERYBODY. (I don't know enough about Islam to comment about the misogynistic and hateful treatment of women, but I feel comfortable saying that religion, this and others, do not put the interests of women in the same universe with those of the man.)

Polygamy is a sensible arrangement.
Yes, perhaps for animals in the wild kingdom...But then again, animals sometimes eat their young, so maybe this isn't the best group to be looking at.

Competition makes you want to cook the best meal for your husband and raise the best children. Again, I might be wrong here, but I thought love was what made one want to cook the best meal for their mates and raise the best children. If I'm wrong, I've obviously been misled for my whole effing life.

I swear people, I was going to come on here and talk about sumo and how it's going around school that my JTE and I are dating, but this article has gotten me too fired up. I promise though, I'll post before
I leave for Hokkaido. GRRRRR!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you. I'm not impressed by what my insights into Ghanaians showed me about the multiple woman thing(inside joke; 'Oh Solo'). But now I see that that African(yes I'm generalizing an entire continent) attitude has stayed in the genes and carried over to the Caribbean, American and Canadian black folks. At work we listen to classic soul all day on satellite radio and there are way too many songs about cheating... oh 'Me and Mrs.Jones', you sound so good but subject matter, tsk, tsk.

julia said...

i see you what you are saying here. especially as we are meant to be living in 'modern' times.

hmf. modern my ass.

a few fun facts:
-King Solomon (1000 BCE) was well known for his wisdom, but also for having had 700 wives
-King Sobhuza II of Swaziland had 141. and he ruled until 1982! I myself was born a year later.
-Ghana's Ya-Na Yakubu Andani II had 32 wives, and he died in the late 80s.
not so long ago.

maybe that explains why the tradition has yet to come to an end. but you are right about HIV. its a serious concern.