Friday, July 21, 2006

Lazy, school daze...

I was recently informed that I have to give a presentation to some Japanese Teachers of English in a few weeks, and since I'm bored out of my skull right now, I'm starting early. As much as I like working under the gun of a deadline, finding out cool things to say about Canada while I whittle away my long non-teaching workdays proves to be much more fun.

Anyway, I did a google search on facts of Montreal, and this is what I found: http://www.mikel.org/words/true_facts_abou.html I like these sort of lists, written by cocky people who feel they can write about a whole demographic. Sometimes they get it wrong, sometimes they are oh so right. These are a few of my faves:

You might be from Montreal if:

6. You refer to 6 inches of snow as a "dusting."
8. You don't think you have an attitude.
10. Everything in town - at least everything you care about - is a seven dollar cab ride away.
11. When out of town, you think the locals from the area are all hopelessly provincial. Including when you go to another big city.
15. You don't realize that you drive twice as fast as everyone else.
16. You're self-indulgent, extravagant, jaded and pessimistic.
17. You think if someone is nice to you, they must be looking for a vote. Or spare change.
22. You haven't been carded since age 14, anywhere.
23. You only eat stimés during a Habs game 'haldress'.
24. You think that if someone never goes out after work they must be hopelessly square, or ill.

How we'll know you weren't born here:
You cross at a crosswalk.

You ask directions to "Club Supersexe" or "Shay Paree".

Getting around:

St. doesn't mean street. It means Saint.
If Boul Réné-Levesque has mysteriously turned into Dorchester, you're in Westmount. You can speak English now.

Things you should know:

The underground train is not a subway. It's the metro. The subway is in Toronto, and it sucks compared to here
.


****************************************************

Last Sunday, I, along with a group of ALTs from Aichi and Gifu prefectures, made it out to Nagoya to watch sumo. I think I've proclaimed my love for sumo on this blog a few times, but I'm going to do it again: I really, really, really love sumo. My favorite wrestler is Asashoryu, this bad boy:

He's Mongolian, powerful and cocky as a MF. He's also the Yokozuna, the top wrestler. It was love at first sight. After sitting in super close seats and enjoying watching matches of the junior sumo wrestlers for 2 hours, the rightful seat owners claimed their seats and we were relegated to our nosebleed position in section J. Though I didn't get to see my man up close and personal, I was happy he won his bout. Next year, I'm going to pay to play and get really good seats. When Ed and I were close, we were able to see the elephant-like nutsack of a particularly huge man. Oh yeah, that's the good stuff...

In other news, some of my kids think that me and my JTE are D-A-T-I-N-G for the simple fact that we went to see MI-III together. I don't really care, just as long he doesn't think we are...

Anyway, this is the last post for a while as I will be going to Hokkaido with Ed and Shi tomorrow. I will try to update pics soon but since I will be taking pics with my film camera (my digicam is at Dave's and he's in Scotland), it might be a little while. A bientot!

No comments: