Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pocari sweat...

...is the shit! Ok, it doesn't sound very good, and admittedly the first time isn't the greatest, but it cures what ails ya! For those who don't know (and that would be almost everyone), it is a lightly flavoured ion supply drink. After a few hours of running around with the kiddies, it revitalizes you and keeps you going for the next few hours. It has dug me out of physical slumps much better than chocolate ever could!

Speaking of the kiddies, today was an awesome day at the shogakko (elementary school). What I really like about shogakko is that it is really challenging to think of fresh ways to teach things, challenge the children's minds and ensure that they are having a great time learning a new language. Yesterday, I spent about 3 hours putting together bingo cards on my computer(the topic was fruits) and nearly an hour laminating them this morning. I cursed my way through it, but it paid off when the kids went APE SHIT over it. And all I have to say is FRUIT BASKET is manna from Heaven. At the end of the day, I'm usually very satisfied with what I've put together, and the kids are happy, so I must be doing something right!

Today I sent an S.O.S. message to Black people all over Japan - my hair needs help! It's falling out en masse, more so than usual, and it's probably due to the fact that my life has COMPLETELY CHANGED (Montreal Mel concurs). On top of that, I don't have access to a hair salon that specializes in African-American hair, so that is undoubtedly stressing me out more. I'm thinking about going back to braids because it will just make my life easier and keep my hair in check. I got a hit from a chick who lives in Hyogo, which is about 2 hours away from me. It is nearly the same distance as Tokyo but a heck of a lot cheaper. Yeah, I know 2 hours seems ridiculous to travel for hair maintanence, but I'M BLACK Y'ALL, I'M BLACK Y'ALL, I'M BLACKER THAN BLACK AND I'M BLACK Y'ALL! (5 yen to the first person who identifies that line!)

I just had tacos and a salad for dinner. Tacos? In Japan??? Hey, I have to keep it real. I saw the taco kit in a supermarket and I got so excited. I didn't find cheese, however, but the tacos were really good. A nice change from all the tofu and stirfrys and fish everything I've been eating!

Ok, I have to get myself together because I am going to visit Mel in Kagawa-ken tomorrow, and she's got a full weekend planned! So excited.

Updatcha latah!

BTW, WTF, Katie Holmes is pregnant!!??! Has the world stopped using birth control?? Her and Tom Cruise, or collectively, TomKat, make me sick!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm black yall" line comes from CB4.

bah.. Just go natural with your hair. Dreadies are dope!

dancing chaos said...

kaki - MTL Carolyn and I had the same problem, I opted for a cut and the problem was solved. I truly hope this option works out for you!

Also, please give MTL Mel a huge hug for me!

swel - had no idea TA stood for team autobot. I guess you learn a little everyday!

Anonymous said...

my theory about your hair situation, cut it off! (jj) good to know that you are doing well amidst all drama of yo' hair. love ya' lots, Shenehneh

Salt City Derby Girls said...

Okay, some hiphop song, circa early 90s quoted that line ("I'm black y'all! I'm blacker than black," ), which I was just referencing in my blog, because of an amusing synergy. I'm a goth; goths have for years made the joke, "I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker," so I was amused when some scientists revealed a substance that was described by someone on NPR as, I kid you not, "30% blacker than the darkest known black." But of course, being a goth, I have no idea what the song is. I was doing a goth show right before an Urban show on my college station, and the Urban guys would play it often to tease me, so I could dance around ans sing "I'm wearin' black, y'all. I'm wearing blacker than black." I'm not exactly a typical goth.

Ahem. Anyway, uh... do you know what the song is? Google is no help.

Salt City Derby Girls said...

Oh, and PS: dreads. Do dreads. They are the most wonderful hairstyle ever.

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to Pocari Sweat! and can find none in MTL or Toronto — any places you know about?

Merci,
k