Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Today was an awesome day...

I've recently come to realize that I am about 90% settled here, both physically and mentally. My apartment is inviting, clean and hospitable, but I could use a few wall hangings and a lamp to spruce up the place. I know where to go to buy food, cheap clothing and household goods and electronics, but I don't know where to go for a manicure or aesthetics. I feel comfortable enough speaking to people in Japanese, but I still get stuck in conversations. And I sometimes wake up feeling like I just want to turn on the heater and sleep until I feel like puking. With a sense of settlement comes a sense of laziness and aversion to work. I love the kids, I love the teaching environment, and once I get there, I'm super genki, but lord help me, when it's 7:10 a.m. and I can practically see my breath in my bedroom, I just want to say to hell with work. But I get up, determined not to take a personal/sick day until I'm on my deathbed. Once I have my class though, I've forgotten about the hellish first few moments of consciousness and am happy to be where I am.

Yesterday I had a half day because I had to go to a demonstration class put on by Ed and his JTE, but my classes at the JHS rocked. Everything just worked: I was entertaining, the kids were receptive and were learning, and there were lots of laughs. I had lunch with the first grade class and they almost made me snort water out of my nose due to their hilarious Hard Gay (http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/face/news/20050720p2g00m0dm024000c.html )
impersonations. It's funny because 3 months ago, I was the resident freak that really had to put in effort to get the kids to respond to me. Now, I can't get them off of me (but I love it, I really do!)

Today, I had my classes at the elementary school and they went so well. I gave the 3rd grade a lesson on actions/"I like to" and they were really excited and tried really hard. We did Halloween (don't ask) in 1st grade and we got to practice trick or treat where I was allowed to give the kids either a trick (a tickle) or a treat (pretend candy) or both. They literally would not let me leave. They formed several human walls that I had to tickle or jump my way out of. 5th grade was awesome today as we had a lesson on classroom items. The teacher taught me the Japanese word for fart (onara - polite, or he - casual) and I kept saying it throughout class, much to their delight. At the end of class, Nana, who is usually quite quiet and polite, gave me a sheet to write who my favorite band is and why - in Japanese. I said ganbarimasu - I will try my best. I thought that was pretty cool.

*************************

On Saturday, Christina and I went to Kyoto, which was nearly better than last year's trip. We went to the Imperial Palace, Ginkakuji (the Golden Pavillion) and Yasaka Shrine in Gion (Geisha district). We ate the most satisfying Indian meal at an underground restaurant and had an excellent time. We didn't get lost or encounter any problems as Kyoto is nearly foolproof (if you want any tips, let me know!) Here are some of the highlights. I'll update my Flickr accounts soon, I promise!








These two dudes cracked open their Asahis at around 9:00 in the morning. I had to have a picture. The one beside Chris seemed to favour me quite a bit. I was nervous that he would take my picture with his camera phone and put it on the internet...kinda like what I did.


















It's getting really cold in the schools. Maybe I should have picked somewhere warm to go this xmas...

For lunch today, I had curry udon, walnut bread, some baked potato fish thing, something that resembled coleslaw and a tangerine. Are they trying to get me to be fat? I've decided that I need to start jogging during the time between lunch and soji (cleaning time). I could've gone to badminton today, but it's cold outside and I'm tired. I'm going to study Japanese instead.

Tomorrow I am going to the old folk's hospital. I'm prepared non-stop yapping and a few "anato wa kirei desu. (you are very beautiful)" Should be a treat!

1 comment:

dancing chaos said...

The kids keep asking me if I'm a Hard Gay. Between that and the afro, I wonder which one I need to reform this year.

Sigh... waking up. I know what you mean: thank god for the timer on my heater. It was 9 degrees in my house when I walked in after work today. Upside: I can see the snow on teh peaks of the hills around the school. BLIZZARD today - this may be the first winter I actually don't mind living through.