Monday, August 28, 2006

Love is...

the thought that has been consumming my mind for the past few weeks, and no big surprise as I've been contemplating my time here, looking back at my past and setting my sights on the future. No big surprise since I've been reading "a story of irreconcilable love and infidelities", each page burning a hole in my conciousness, forcing me to think about the love in my life. No big surprise as the word has been swimming in my mouth and spilling from my lips more often lately. I've recently finished reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera and I can't really begin to adequately relate a synopsis of this book, nor explain its affect on me. It just is. But maybe if I post a couple of passages for you, you might be able to understand where I'm coming from: "He suddenly
recalled the famous myth from Plato's Symposium: People were hermaphrodites until God split them in two, and now all the halves wander the world over seeking one another. Love is the longing for the half of ourselves we have lost." If you knew my mind, you'd know that I never bought into the myth of the "soul mate". In fact, I hate the words, the idea. I've always thought of it as a made up word, conjured up my marketing executives and authors of lonely hearts books in an effort to make people feel less than they are if they are single. To me, the idea of the "soul mate" was invented to create a feeling of dissatisfaction in the individual so that they'd have that wanting and the desire to buy into goods and services to make them more desirable to "catch" their soul mate. BUT, I do believe in the idea of deep connection, between male and females, romantic attachments or not. I believe that there are those special people that can touch your life and turn your world into blinding beauty, catching you off guard to the point you weep with delight and disbelief that you are so blessed. I believe that we are all looking for something, an unknown element that will just fit, without explanation, when it's right. We want that Jerry Maguire moment, to really feel it when "you complete me."


Sublime. Divine. Celestial. Love is my religion. And I can finally see it nearly everyday, in every way. In the wind that blows through the trees. In the river that pushes past the road. In the clouds where I swear I can see God (I've rejected the idea of God as a man. Now I'm more comfortable with the Creator as creamy, cumulous wisps of smoke and water). I can feel it in the rush of blood and pleasure to all corners of my extremities, my heart and my brain, submerging me in wave after wave of bliss, nearly suffocating me.

But during the week, betweent the professional hours of 8:30 and 4:30, I see it in my kids. Their eyes, their smiles, the bashfulness and playfulness. I know now why people covet them so. Love personified.
Another quote from Kundera's book: "Perhaps the reason we are unable to love is that we yearn to be loved, that is, we demand something (love) from our partner instead of delivering ourselves up to him demand-free and asking for nothing but his company." I didn't demand the
love of these children, only their attention during class. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I woud fall in love in them, so irrevocably, and that love would be returned through smiles, laughs and acceptance. These kids have taught me to demand precious little from the adults in my personal life as the pleasure of their company is enough to sustain me, and the rewards from this is the love that I seek.

I'm often thinking about next year and of leaving my kids behind. I know that once I take off on the plane, that will be it for our relationship. All I'll have are the memories and the photographs. And I feel my heart squeezing even now and I know this is love as well, this pain that is sometimes is sometimes love's shadow on a sunny day.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Soul Mate" is a term you get to retroactively apply to any person you've been coupled with for some arbitrarily defined but lengthy period.

--Joseph

K said...

Yes, when you're looking back at the relationship with rose coloured glasses, thinking about "the one that got away..." Or when you feel they need to explain why you got married to the guy you've only known for a couple of weeks. A term to explain away questionable actions or redefine the past.

Anonymous said...

Love as a marketing tool only works because it is loosely based on a true conception that each of us have inherently. To simplify love as period of time spent with another person is a gross simplification. True love is an indefinable concept. It is a mystery how two can become one flesh. Conversely, it is also the simplest human emotion to grasp and experience; the children you teach are able to express it freely without bias. It is our own negative experiences and rationality that try to discount and reduce love to controllable and predictable classifications. If we cannot grasp and accept love in its purest and simplest form, we need to figure out what it is that is holding us back from accepting and expressing it as a child does.

K said...

I don't think one can or should simplify love as a period time spent with someone because it's neither true nor fair. I believe that love is marketed as something one can attain easily, if you have the perfect mascara or perfect perfume. But my beef doesn't lie there. Having studied media, like you Joel, I've learned not to read too much into what the media tries to feed us. I just don't like the term "soul mate". Maybe it's because I've heard it to much lately so it's feeding my ire. But these kids have taught me love in the purest form, and I've paid attention to the lessons and used them in my own life. I think I'm the best I've ever been and the love I have now is the healthiest and loveliest I've ever experience. A lot of things have happened to me here, and everything is related, but this is, by far, the best, because it trickles down and touches everything.

Dan, I think I understand what you're going through because I'm already reflecting on what I've learned and how it will help me in the future. This experience has been a springboard for me and the plans I have for the future wouldn't have taken shape were it not for this. I'll definitely enjoy my kids, and thinking about saying goodbye to them really helps me to give them my all.