Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wazzupwitme...

Yesterday, I had a rare treat. I got to go out to the big city and have dinner with friends, on a weeknight!!!! Wow, that statement warranted four exclamation marks, and while it may not seem like a huge deal for you, it was a rare occasion for me and most blog-worthy. Well, not really, but it was sweet. And what made it even sweeter was that I had the pleasure of the company of my favorite Scotsman, David (sorry Ed, but you understand). Dave came over, MIDWEEK, because he had an appointment to get a Japanese driver's license, and it was the first time ever. My freaking mind was blown.

Anyway, after showing Dave the route to get to the driver's license bureau from my place, we made our way to Gifu City to have dinner with Heather, Mai, Jeff, Ed, his friend Henry, and Sarah. The original plan was to go for Mexican (which I was sorely craving), but we went for Italian when it was learned that the El Paso was closed. Where the food was lacking, the company more than made up for it. It was SO GOOD to see Heather, a wonderful woman from Thunder Bay, Ontario. We met a year ago, and this is the first time we've gone out to something that was non-JET related. At the last JET thing, we promised each other we'd hook up and it came to fruition yesterday. Since she lives relatively close to the big mall not that far from me, we'll be hooking up on a more regular basis. It was great seeing Sarah as well, a Southern belle I hardly see, but always a pleasure when I do. Yeah, it was a simple gathering of friends for dinner, but it was so good to have a reminder of my former life - you know, having a social life during the week. Ahhh...gotta do that more often.

Speaking of my former life, I've been trying to book tickets for Dave and I to visit my former home, and let me tell you, it's a biatch. Firstly, most of the time, it's all in Japanese, which lets me practice, but rudely reminds me that I still have a long way to go before being somewhat fluent (yeah, I know, that's not happening). Secondly, the price variations are insane and I can't help but feel that I'm getting financially molested by ticket agents and for good reason - http://www.debito.org/HISpricing.html. On top of that, the gasoline tax is outrageous. As we will be going for my best friend's wedding and I won't be going on another international flight before leaving Japan next year, I just gotta suck it up and take it up the butt.

I'm currently reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera and Oprah's Live Your Best Life. The former is weighty but beautifully written and the latter is full of exceptional writing from very talented writers.

I've watched a few movies over the last little while including You Can Count On Me (loved it for its quiet and soft beauty), Primary Colors (well-written, humourous and surprisingly emotional), Get Shorty (a much loved, oft-watched film), Pirates of the Caribbean (I liked it much better than the first time I saw it. I thought it was too hyped up, but now I think Johnny Depp was fantastic and the whole story was well put together), The Sweetest Thing (I should have known better than trust Aya's recommendation - she saw The Wedding Date for godssake), and The Remains of the Day (a beautiful film, but I liked the book better. Gotta give Anthony Hopkins props though - he da man).

I stole this pic from the BBC web site. I saw it on TV the other day and thought it was just beautiful. It is a memorial service marking the dropping of the atomic bomb on Nagasaki. I doubt I'll have a chance to hit that prefecture before this year is up, but Hiroshima (second time) is in my crosshairs.

So it's been over a year since I landed in Japan and there are some observations that I want to share with you. Not now, but very soon. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kaki! Thanks for an excellent night! It was SOOO GOOD to see you also! You're an absolutely AMAZIN' person! I'm super glad I met you! Let's do Malera soon! Shopingu ni ikimashou! lol! <3