Monday, January 29, 2007

Sweet and sweeter...don't wanna lose that taste...

Things have been good for your heroine in J-land. The weather has been sunny and relatively warm. The kids have been happy and smiling. I now feel more empathy rather than scorn for my co-workers. I received unexpected gifts and started to build some bridges. I'm half-way through my second year as an ALT and life post-JET is shaping up. Sweet, no? I just hope it lasts...

February will begin in a couple of days and while things have been good, I'm getting that feeling...like blah. I don't want to teach, I don't want to study/speak Japanese. I want to throw my kerosene heater out the window. I don't know...But the weekends are my salvation. Two weekends ago, Dave and I went to Gifu Park for a little walk and to hang out. I haven't been to downtown Gifu City in months, so it was a surprising treat to re-discover the area. We went to a charming cafe, Primo Luce, and I had Pelligrino along with my strawberry tart. It wasn't exactly the weather for it, but I wanted something that reminded me of home, you know? It was such a simple weekend with simple pleasures, but it was wonderful to the core.

This past weekend, I spent time with Shiloh, catching up and reveling in our mutual love and respect. Damn, I love that girl. After attending my last ever Gifu JET conference (yes!!!), we went out for pizza and talked NON-STOP for like 8 hours. The next day, we took a little hike on a bamboo trail then went to the Yoro International Centre to make Japanese sweets. I ate too many, but how could I not - they're so pretty! Luckily, I gave a couple away the next day, which alleviated the guilt of eating so many.

Well, I'm down to 6 months in Japan and while I'm living each day, I'm still subconciously counting down to the end. BUT, I can say without a doubt, coming to Japan was the best thing I could have down for my mind and soul, and my body ain't doing too bad either. I've met some of the most brillant people here who have challenged me and made me question and re-evaluate my life thus far. My future and my life have been changed and undoubtedly for the better. Hell, the sweet just isn't as sweet without the bitter...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you girl. This has been an amazing experience for me as well. Friends have been amazing. And though theres some rough times is really teaches you to appreciate the pleasures. Seasons are a great example of that...For better or worse, I'll never forget this place.
Shiloh

Anonymous said...

Bravo Girl,

your blog continues to inspire. Enjoy those last 6 months, and for God's sake, eat as much sushi as you can; believe me, it ain't the same here....

dan

dancing chaos said...

bumped into a japanese/korean grocery store on rideau [they abound in o-town...] and found some factory-made mochi from Toronto. Brought it to training... and proceeded to bite my tongue, lips and cheek when everyone in attendance made a point to say they were 'going to be adventurous' before inspecting the sweet morsel and hesitantly putting it in their mouth. It was frankly hilarious.