Sunday, September 25, 2005

Contentment covers me like a cashmere blanket...

I am happy. I am happy to wake up and pull back my curtains and find the point where the heavens and the earth meet. I am content to lie on my back on my bed and watch the fluffy clouds glide past the green peaks. I take pleasure in listening to my own breathing and feeling the wind on my skin and the tatami under my feet. I think of God and my path and my future and want to weep because I'm happy and sing because I'm free...I'm in love with myself and find peace in unexpected places. I'm letting go of old fears and trying to live in the now of each day. It is beautiful and I am happy...

***************************************

I've been pretty busy for the past week. They day after the JHS sports day, Sunday, I went to Gifu City for my hair appointment with Tomomi. I was pretty nervous and irritable because of her lack of experience and my monthly visitor, but when everything was said and done, my hair looked fab. I mean, it was trying, and I nearly started to cry a couple of times, but she and her assistant did a great job, with my help. I was really missing Andre, my stylist, at this point, and after repeated shocked looks by incoming customers and an array of nice compliments from a lady, I just wanted to disappear. On top of that, my whole day was shot because I spent nearly 4 hours in the salon (I think a record for me) which meant that I couldn't go to Nagoya like I'd plan. But, there was a BBQ happening nearby and after some phone calls, I went to Nishi-Gifu station to meet Christina. Unfortunately, Christina missed her bus and told me that it would probably take her 20 minutes to get to me. At that point, I just broke down. I called Melissa but she was driving and I didn't want her to get in an accident on account of me, so I waited for Christina, and my tears came without shame or pride.

After the tears, I felt much better and Ed and Jeff picked us up from the train station and we met our JET family under the bridge. It was great to see a lot friendly faces and laughed and talked in our native language. We had dinner then a bunch of us made our way to a reggae club. I had quite a bit to drink, but I was a good girl for the most part. I crashed at Ed's place and we slept like babies.

The next day, Monday, Ed, Jeff and I went to Masa 21 Department Store to window shop and fantasize on how we were going to blow our next pay cheque. Jeff wanted to see my village, so they came over and Jeff was impressed with the scenery. Dave and Shouichi also came over, so it was a full house at my place. It was fun, but I was happy to fall in bed and had a deep, dreamless sleep.

On Tuesday, I went back to the badminton court because I've been MIA for the past 3 weeks, due to my cut finger. It looks much better now, but I can't fully close the finger and it is partially numb around the cut. But I did fairly well. I did lose all my games, but I had a good excuse and it was nice to be sweating from physical activity again.

On Wednesday, I had my english conversation class in my home and it was really nice to talk with the little ladies. They are so cute and energetic - exactly what I want to be when I'm that age.

On Thursday, Dave came over to download Microsoft Office and chat. I made dinner for us and just enjoyed the evening.

Friday was a holiday and was also sports day at the shogakko (elementary school). I had an amazing time and realized that even though I don't have anyone *special* in my life right now, I have 78 cuties who have my heart.

One of the things that I really enjoyed during sports day was to see so many parents participating. I realized that I missed having a few things in my own childhood, but I take comfort in the idea of what kind of a presence I would be in my own child(ren)'s life.

After the fun, it was time for the senseis to party. We went to a nice resto and had a 3 hour meal. I ate way too much, but they just kept bringing out food. Plus I drank beer, so I felt really full. We played games and kocho sensei (principal) drank so much that he started crawling around on the floor with his tongue hanging out! After dinner, a bunch of us went to karaoke where I, who cannot sing a note, sang two songs: Waiting in Vain by Bob Marley and I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder. After a few songs, everyone broke out and I met Dave to hang out then crash at his house. We had a great conversation on relationship dynamics and if it is possible for girls and boys to be just friends. Based on that conversation, I decided that being friends with a boy is possible but does require effort on both their parts. He gave me something to think about.

On Saturday, I left Dave and met up with Ed. We had a ball and I am grateful that someone I genuinely like and whose company that I really enjoy lives so close to me. He's a great guy and had me laughing the whole time we were together. The only downside of our outing yesterday is that we spent too much money. I did buy two pairs of shoes that I needed, and they were on special, but still...Money goes so quickly here!

I came home and just enjoyed my company. I took a bath, listened to music, did pilates, and just chilled. Today I made spaghetti sauce that came out quite well, did some laundry and cleaned up my place. I feel like taking a little nap now.

I've been trying to upload pictures on my blog, but it doesn't seem like it wants to work, and I don't feel like fighting it. Sorry guys, you'll just have to use your imagination.

Sumo wrestling rocks!

Mata ne! (Later!)

No comments: