Sunday, September 04, 2005

September 4, 2005

It's raining outside and I love the sound and smell of it. It's so clean and so soft, like a shower for my soul. That sounds a bit gay, but I feel so content. The past couple of days have been lovely, in a quiet sort of way.

I spent that last little while with a really nice, sweet, down to earth guy named Dave from Australia. He is my predecessor who lives a few towns away from me. I visited yesterday, and we spent the day chatting and eating and getting comfortable in our new friendship. It felt like putting on a new sweatshirt that instantly reminded you of your old, hole-y one. We decided to go bowling, which I haven't played for a while, and I miraculously beat him - I somehow managed to bowl 4 strikes in a row in our first game. However, the second game was just embarrassing for the both of us, and we had to retire because Dave received a sports injury from all the excitement (!).

After bowling, we rented a movie (Spy Game) and decided that we'd buy some beer and have a sleepover, rather than Dave driving me home. The movie was great, the beer was great and the company was great, and I slept like a baby in oversized clothes.

After a light breakfast that including the disgusting spread Veggiemart on some bread, I got on Ol' Faithful, my one car train, and came home to the mountains. When I leave it, even for the night, I'm not sad to leave, but I am happy to return. I was feeling a little adventurous so I decided to go for a walk and explore. I took a few photos and got wrapped up in my own thoughts and was pleased to realize that I had been walking around for an hour. There is so much to explore around here, but I know I have time to do it.

Luckily, I got back before the downpour and I am starting on dinner. I have also been thinking about my first day teaching. It was actually more like an introduction to me, but it went so well. My first class was with the 2nd grade JHS students, who are around 12/13 years old. Their English was really good and I gave them an enthusiastic and colourful speech about who I am and where I come from. I held their interest and then quizzed them on my life. I felt so...outside of myself. It's hard to explain. I turned into a different person in the classroom and I liked how I felt. I didn't care how I looked or sounded, I just wanted the kids to understand me and to feel good about their new eigo-sensei. According to K-sensei, I did a good job.



My second class was a little bit more difficult because their listening comprehension ain't so hot. The 1st grades got a lot of prompting from K-sensei and explanations in Japanese, which doesn't really help them in the long run (I feel), so that 's something we are going to need to work on. But they were enthusiastic and bright eyed, and since I've seen quite a few of them before, the class went well.

I realize that there are going to be bumps in the road and yadda yadda yadda, but I like a challenge and the kids are good, so I know that I can work through the rough spots.

On to other things: I just got my Lonely Planet China the other day and have started to pour over the mammoth paper beast. It looks like the trip will be comprised of visiting Shanghai and Beijing and everything in between...

I learned that my shoe size in centremetres is 24. Gotta remember that when I go bowling again...

I like that people in my town always wave, nod, bow and smile at me, even if I don't have the foggiest idea who the fook they are...

Coming to Japan was one of the best things I have done in my life. We'll see if I'll be humming the same tune in the middle of February, but I feel something indescribable within myself...

English has become a bit troublesome for me. I feel like I am losing my ability to spell properly. Last week, one of the ladies I am tutoring pointed out that the way I had spelled "aisle" looked a little funny. I'm a little worried...

The BBC series, "The Office" is brillant, sick, cringe-worthy and worth ever penny. However, it makes me never want to step into a white collor office again...

A Shot Out to...

From time to time, I will send shout outs to people who have helped me out in some way or another. I stole this idea from Dan in Japan, who in turn stole it from someone else, who ultimately stole it from The Simpsons (I MISS THAT SHOW). Swel (or whoever can answer this question), which seasons are the best ones to buy? Anyways, here goes...

I want to send a shot out to MTL Mel, who has been my anchor here in Japan. With her sultry mix of good looks, salty wit and blunt attitude, she reminds me of everything I love about Montreal, strong females and reliable friends. She tells me the truth and encourages me to tell her when she's retarded. She was the catalyst for my recent groundshaking realization and for that, I will be eternally grateful. So to you Mel, I lift my sake glass and give your a heartfelt "Whoop whoop!"

Oh yes, one last thing: HAPPY BDAY NEIGIE!!! I'm sorry I'm not there, but I love and miss you. A big hug to you and give one to Dixx for me! MUAH!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whatup Kaki,

I hope your injury isn't that bad!

Season 6 just came out, its got some good episodes on it, including the Stonecutters. Season 5 is good too.

Dont get season 1 (unless you are a completionist). Anyone who says the first few seasons were the best hasn't watched them since they were on.

Anonymous said...

ahhh.... thanks for the shout out.
you are my rock as well.
nuthin' but love...
m.